If you are wondering, “my tooth hurts, do I need a root canal?” the answer is – not necessarily. We know that your tooth could hurt for several reasons, including:
- Food is stuck in between your teeth or in between the ridges on the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- You could have a cavity.
- Your tooth could have been chipped or cracked.
- You may be suffering from enamel erosion.
In these scenarios, we can treat the problem without needing to perform a root canal. For example, we can clean your teeth and remove any food particles causing discomfort. If you have a cavity, we can remove the decay and place a filling at our family dentist office. This is done quickly and is far less invasive than a root canal. Simultaneously, if your tooth is chipped or cracked, we can restore it using dental bonding or dental veneers. If you are dealing with erosion, you may need dental crowns to protect your teeth. We also restore teeth on a daily basis and have several ways of doing so.
If you have any of these symptoms, you should call our emergency dentist office at 972-628-6440 and schedule an appointment to be seen right away.
- Your face is swollen. In this scenario, you could have a severe infection and require an immediate root canal. As a Dallas dentist near you, we can quickly examine and treat you.
- You are having difficulty swallowing. In this case, you need to be treated by our emergency dentist office immediately. Do not delay or take any chances with this particular symptom. It is possible to develop a dental abscess, an infection that can spread from your root canal to the floor of your mouth and even into your neck. This requires urgent care.
- You cannot bite down without pain. In this case, your tooth could be infected and require a standard root canal. If so, we can perform the procedure quickly.
- Your tooth is changing color. Another sign of an infection is if the tooth begins to change color. In this case, it may appear gray or dull, and performing a root canal could be necessary for restoring the health of your tooth.
THE PROCESS OF PERFORMING A ROOT CANAL
When patients call us asking, “my tooth hurts, do I need a root canal?” the second question they normally ask is what the process will be like. At Merit Dental Care , we will answer any questions you may have during your examination and consultation. We can complete a root canal in a way that is as comfortable as possible. The reality is that a root canal does not have to hurt. In fact, by using sedation, we can help you feel calm and relaxed to the point that most of our patients say they feel much better after the treatment than they did before the treatment. The root canal removes the infection, which is the cause of the initial discomfort, to relieve the pain. When looking for a “dentist near me” to perform a root canal, be sure to visit one who offers sedation.
When performing a root canal in our family dentist office, we do the following:
- Clean the tooth
- Numb the area
- Create a small hole in the tooth
- Remove the infected portion
- Clean the interior of the tooth
- Seal it with a rubbery substance
- Restore the tooth using a filling or crown
We can treat your damaged or infected tooth, along with improving the appearance of your smile. We do so by offering additional solutions like teeth whitening, dental veneers, dental implants, dental crowns, and bridges. To schedule a tooth examination or to learn more about a root canal, call (972) 628-6440.